History of the Queen Victoria Home

The origins of the Home date back to 1891 when it was first established as a convalescent home at Bridgewater and then later at New Town to provide care for people recuperating after being treated in hospital.

In 1896 the name of the convalescent home was changed to “Victoria Convalescent Home” in honour of Queen Victoria’s jubilee year.

In 1898, the Tasmania Supreme Court authorised the W A Guesden estate trustees to purchase an area of land of about 3.6ha at Lindisfarne for the Home. The old two-storey building that stood on the land was formerly known as the Beltana Hotel. The land and the building were purchased for 1,400 pounds.

During World War II the Australian Red Cross Society, acting on behalf of the Australian Army, used the building as a rest and convalescent home for service-women.

In the 1950s, the need for better facilities for the care of aged people became apparent and the use of the building was then dedicated to aged care.

In 1959, the Queen Victoria Home for the Aged was incorporated as a not-for-profit association under Section 28 of the Companies Act 1920 to maintain a home for the benefit of aged men and women irrespective of creed or country and to be conducted on Christian but non-sectarian principles.

The existing Home was built in 1959 from a grant under the provisions of the Aged Persons Homes Act, and from the proceeds from the sale of building blocks on the Home’s perimeter. It was officially opened on 12 November 1960.

The C K Murphy Wing which provided accommodation for a further 22 residents was added in 1962. With support and assistance from the Lindisfarne RSL, the RSL Wing was added in the late 1970s, providing another four rooms.

In 1992 the Home entered into an agreement with the City of Clarence to take over the operation of Quarry Court which provided independent living units for eligible aged persons. These units have been substantially renovated and successfully integrated into the operation of the Home and now offer retirement village living in both one and two bedroom units known as Victoria Court.

Extensive building and refurbishment began in 1996 and was completed in 2002. The Home was completely transformed with the addition of new wings and the renewal of all existing facilities.

The Home now operates a modern residential care facility and a Retirement Village for over 190 residents.

Early in 2014 the Home expanded the Retirement Village with the construction of 7 modern 2 bedroom villa units located on the Lindisfarne Esplanade. These units have been designed to allow the occupants to seamlessly transition from self care to high level residential care.